Review: Ten

Ten - Gretchen McNeil

I’m not really sure what to think of this one.  On one side the suspense and mystery were fairly intense, but on the other hand it was pretty boring to me.  That sounds contradictory of course, but allow me to explain.  Or at least try to.  :)

I would say the first 25% of this book dragged.  BIG TIME.  The author was basically going through and introducing all of these characters as they met in a house on an island in the middle of nowhere for some party.  I had a lot of problems connecting with the characters because they were just so flat.  All they did was argue about petty crap and provide a lot of teenage drama.  Needless to say, it took me awhile to actually get into the story.

Some of the characters even got on my nerves so much it distracted me from what was going on.  Why on Earth would you chose a best friend that doesn’t even consider you and treats you like complete crap?  Doesn’t make any sense to me.  Minnie was a terrible friend to the main character, Meg, but her excuse was basically that she was bipolar and couldn’t help it.  I’m definitely not an expert on the subject of being bipolar, but I know for a fact that just because you are bipolar does not mean you are incapable of caring and being considerate of others.  Minnie was just a bitch.

When the story started picking up and people began to die, I found myself enjoying it so much more. (Which I realize sounds totally demented, but whatevs!)  If it hadn’t taken half of the book for someone to die, I would’ve been a bit happier.  I picked this book up for a reason!  I wanted a scary horror book filled with murder and suspense!

I also found it convenient that all 10 of the people invited to this party were able to dedicate a whole weekend just to attend.  That seemed like a strange coincidence.

All in all, this was an “okay” book.  I liked how the author included the journal entries and how the murders played out.  It was creepy and always kept me guessing.  I was actually surprised when the killer was revealed, which was excellent because I didn’t see it coming.  I don’t like when murder mysteries are predictable.  It takes away from the enjoyment of the story.

If you’re looking for a decently suspenseful, horror book without over-the-top gore or scares, you should give this one a shot.

Source: http://confessionsofabookiemonster.com