Review: Not a Drop to Drink

Not a Drop to Drink - Mindy McGinnis

So I know this doesn’t exactly match the whole “Horror October” event I’m participating in this month, but I decided to go ahead and read this one because I’m planning on meeting Mindy while she is on the Dark Days tour.  She’s going to be in town this week and I really wanted to get this one read before I went.  Plus I had been dying to read it ever since I had first heard about it.

I had such high hopes for this book, and it definitely did not disappoint!  I loved every minute of it and even stayed up all night reading it without even realizing how much time had passed.  Getting no sleep was so worth it!

I was instantly sucked in when I first started Not a Drop to Drink.  I connected with the main character, Lynn, and her mother right off the bat.  They were so developed that I couldn’t help but feel how under pressure they were just to survive another day.  Their life was so much different than what we are all used to, but I felt like I was actually there in poor Lynn’s shoes trying to obey her mother and do her duty to help keep them both alive.  My heart hurt for Lynn the entire book, but I loved how strong of a character she was to go through so much pain and still be as brave as she was.  Sure, she started out as a hardass, but that was understandable because that was really all she knew.  I cannot express how much I love girls being portrayed as independent and tough!

The relationships between the numerous characters were created so well.  I ended up caring so much for each one that Lynn encountered.  Not to mention, I got my heart ripped out a couple times.  Oh the feels!

This was a very deep, dark, depressing story all in all.  It scared me a bit because the more I thought about it, the more I could see how possible it could be for this sort of thing to happen in real life.  I sure hope this doesn’t happen because I wouldn’t survive very long.  It really makes you appreciate the little things that we often take for granted.

So if you’re looking for a nice, fun, happy read – I would not pick this one up.  It may be dark and depressing, but it brings forth a good message and was so different from the usual books that I’ve been reading lately.  It has definitely earned a spot on my list of favorites!

Source: http://confessionsofabookiemonster.com